A friend for the road


When traveling alone, there is lot's of time to read a good book. However books are heavy and I'm openly paranoid about weight, since I'm the one lugging it around. So I have found the perfect companion - a book to last through the years and around the globe!

Ladies and laddies, may I present, James Joyce's Ulysses! The perfect book for the road, since it's the only one you will need. It will last you unread one month or eight, one trip or many!

I am a great fan of Joyce's, but this particular book, though absolutely poetic and wonderful, has always stuck around the page 300 marker. I have, however, read the first 300 pages very, very many times, and with great enthusiasm, to the extent that pages 225-228 have come loose.

This book I have carried with me for many months and through many countries. As this miscellaneous collection of bookmarks I found between its pages proves:
Item 1: a postcard from the Mekong river in Laos (oh, those days I spent in a river boat cruising down from Thailand to Luang Prabang)
Item 2: a massage ticket from the Lao Red Cross Massage Centre (the lady, who massaged me was exceptionally rough I recall. So a good thing that medical aid was close at hand)
Item 3: the entrance ticket for Zona arqueologica de Tulum in the Guatemalian jungle (Pekka carried a bottle of Pimm's no 1 there from Finland, so we toasted the sunset from the top of an old Maya temple in style)
Item 4: Entrance ticket to the giant Buddha in a stone hall from near Gyeongju in South-Korea

And yes, of course, I am taking James with me on this trip as well!

Now off to pack some other stuff as well

Comments

K said…
No johan oot itsellesi tiiliskiven mukaan paiskannut. Aina oppii uutta - sinustakin.....
Marip said…
Jeeh, mä raahasin nuoruuden innolla Odysseusta mukanani koko '96 Tall Ships' Racen. En ollut raukka pikku teini tainnut koskaan sitä ennen tavata kirjaa, joka jäisi kesken. Sittemmin pääsin muistaakseni sivulle 170 asti, mutta nyt James on löytänyt paikkansa kirjahyllystä ja säilyy loistavasti avaamattomana.
Kati Åberg said…
Oi, vihdoin loysin hengenheimolaisen - perustetaan Odysseus forever -klubi. Ehka ikuisuudessa saatais nimittain luettua.

Popular Posts