Sitting Pretty - and a Bit of Walking

Well, ladies and laddies, It’s all downhill from here for some days to come. I’ve come down to a more temperate altitude and warmer climate - to the altitude of the village of Barichara (above) or the town of San Gil (below).
I’m based in the less scenic San Gil. The climate here is how Finns wish Finnish summer were - but it all too seldom is. Verging on too hot when the sun hits zenith, admittedly, but I’d better get used to it, as there are warmer things to come.
So I’m in this city of perpetual summer climates, huffing a bit as I go up the roads, because the roads here really go UP!
Enjoying the riverside park renowned for it’s hairy trees
And pretty and unidentified flowers.
Oh, and one indignant parrot. Hardly a spectacular first entry into wildlife for this trip, since though not chained up, this parrot wasn’t going anywhere further than ten hops from its food bowl.
Today to spice things up, I took a local bus to the village of Barichara, some 20km away. It ranks high in the prettiest village in Colombia competition apparently. I don’t wonder why.
What’s not to like!
From Bariachara there is a paved trail to the next village of Guane - some 8km away (much smaller, equally whitewashed, has goats).
The path, called Camino Real, was originally used by the indigenous Guane people. An entreprising German settler, Herr Geo von Pfaffenwhatsit had it paved in the 1860’s. It makes for a very pleasant two hour walk in the nature. 
This was actually the first time I was walking in nature on this trip - I’ve spent all too much time on paved roads so far. (With the odd stint to cultivated parks with nurtured plants and domesticated parrots). But this will no doubt change as we go along. 

By the way, San Gil is the adventure sports centre of Colombia. I’m currently preparing for tomorrow. Any guesses what I’ll be UP to?




Comments

Popular Posts