Damascus


Damascus is a nice city, very nice! I get the feeling I could live here and like it and I don't get that with just any old city.

There's one catch of course (well apart from the language, cultural, political and women's lib difficulties), and it's the pollution. There are cars, but not so many as to seemingly account for the amount of exhaust fumes clogging the town. I suspect it's either that the cars are so old, or the gasoline is so impure (or is it pure?) that it just smokes and smells more. No 95 unleaded here, no-sirree.

Today I have wandered up the slopes of the nearby mountains to get a view of the city, which I didn't as the view was always blocked by buildings. However I found a very nice and rather posh residential area nestled by the foot of the mountain. I have also been thoroughly scrubbed by a hefty washer woman at the local hammam, which however was exceptionally cool as it was close to closing time and they seemed to have already turned the heat off. I have drank something, which the locals called capuccino, but which was not. I have also eaten a GOOD dinner (yes I did, yes I did!!) at the Al Khawali, a restaurant situated in a beautiful house from the 14th centure and also favoured by the president Junior sir himself! The eggplant starter was especially memorable as the first truly superb bit of grub to pass my flavour deprived lips for over a week! I have also ambled amiably through the souq here without going into claustrophobic hysteria as in Aleppo. The souqs are much wider, higher, better ventilated and at least today, much less crowded. However, I must remember it's Friday, which is the local Sunday and public holiday, so I think it was exceptionally quiet. Some of the stalls were even closed until after the noon prayers. All in all this day has left me mellow, well fed and clean.

If I move to Damascos, life will certainly be cheaper than in Helsinki. For example the hammam & massage cost 5euros, that wonderful meal of eggplant starter, lamb chop main course and complimentary fruit & deep fried sugary pastries for desert was 10 euros (and this is about the best and one of the most expensive restaurants in town!). My hotel is, however, the most expensive I've had in Syria, a whacking 13 euros a night, but that's partly because the hotel didn't have a single room available and I have to pay for a double. Travel locally won't be a problem either - the 4 hour and 250km bus trip from Palmyra cost under 3 euros.
Oh what a shame about the pollution (and the language, cultural, political and women's lib difficulties)!

Unfortunately my secret method of downloading photos on the blog site has been discovered, and the powers that be have taken action. So no photos today. Oh woe, I had a good one for you! Something a bit different for the Christmas display window of Stockmann's department store in Helsinki, I thought... Well, it's a few weeks yet until Christmas, so it'll keep. Jordan, I believe, is not so strict about the use of internet.

And this is me again the next day - and as you see, I have indeed managed to download the suggested merry Christmas window of Stockmanns department store for you. The tinsel racoon, the water pipe smoking furry animal X, the fox with a bloody lamb in its mouth - endless joy for the little ones in the family. Courtesy of a Damascan taxidermist.

Salam alekum once again!

Comments

Ana said…
Juhh, sanon vielä kerran enkä ehkä viimeistä kertaa, että näitä on tosi ihana lukea!

Meikä hyppää joulumyyjäisissä senkun ehtii. Yhä selvemmin alkaa tuntua, että kaikki on jo nähty. Joko ne matkii toisiaan tai sitten tuovat samoja kamoja kuin viime vuonna.

6.12. c'est aujourd'hui!

Olisi kiva tavata sut vielä ennen joulua tai jouluna. Tuskin mä muuta teen kun istun täällä kissojen kanssa nettaamassa. Joulunakaan, siis.
Emily said…
Damascus kuulostaa kivalta! Mutta Kati, älä jätä meidät ja muuta sinne - mieluummin voisit perustaa Hkiin hammam-eggplant-ravintola-täyshoitolan. Pliis? Olisin mycket trogen kund!

Täällä pari päivää vielä duunia, duunia ja liikaa duunia - mutta 12.12. lähdemme.

Pusu sinulle!
Marip said…
Juu, hyvää munakoisoa saa liian harvoin. Ja vähän jäi mietityttämään se päähieronta syödessä myös. Josko senkin voisi liittää palveluihin? :)

Popular Posts