Farewell My Lovely - Heading Home


All good things come to an end and tomorrow it's farewell my lovely and hello Helsinki. Looking at my friends' exhilirated Facebook postings because there happens to be a sunny day or the snow has melted reminds me that I am very, very far from home. Back here in Lima the temperature hits +28C during the daytime only to plunge to +23C for the night. It will be a long wait in Finland until I feel this warm again.

Other nice things will be left behind as well.
 
Goodbye Carnival masks,
so long wallpaintings

Goodbye people dancing in the streets without being drunk, adieu pan pipes

Goodbye Street markets selling... everything

Goodbye Pisco sour!

Farewell giant rodents

Goodbye saints who look like Conchita Wurst


Adios weird looking (and sometimes tasting) cups of cappuccino

So long never ending bus rides and thousands of kilometres of road

Goodbye life-sized plastic dinasours

Adieu Inca Cola

and randomly ordered and unidentifiable food

Ciao colonial churches with impressive altars

Adios mummies, which remind me of the mummy in Tintin and the Seven Crystal Balls (a childhood trauma) 

Goodbye Andean giant moss - the world's oldest living organism on dry ground

And so much more. As I write this on the cliffs by the sea, Lima is giving me one final, orange-glowing, perfect sunset. I do feel privileged at all that I have seen and continue to see. The world, my friends, is a pretty stunning place.

Thanks for being along for the ride.

Comments

Popular Posts