When the shit hits the fan...

Greetings form the land on picture postcard beaches. A satellite connection may or may not be beaming this, the latest of my reports about sun, sand and pina coladas, to you. Palawan seems to be one of the last frontiers; an island with poor or non-existent internet connections.

I have jeepnied my way from the main town Puerto Princesa through the lovely town of Sabang to a little fishing village (though lately fishing mostly for tourists) called Port Barton. They haven't caught too many tourists so far though - I've seen maybe 10 Westerners in total.

The transitions have been bumpy and time consuming, but a possible low point was today, when a live pig was hoisted onto the roof and placed exactly over my seat. I wondered somewhat anxiously what would happen if the pig had to use the comfort room (yes, that IS what toilets are called in the Philippines!!) as I had a window seat and jeepneys don't have any window panes. I found out only ten minutes later when the driver honked his horn causing the pig to squeal and execute a panic dump on the roof. From there the shit flowed down the sides and in through the open window and down the back of the man sitting behind me. Luckily for me I was, apparently, under the pig's head and not its backside.

The above was yet another occasion when your average European with pig shit down the back of his shirt would have been outraged and voiced his opinion of the A) pig, B) pig owner, C) bus company, D) God, rather strongly. But here it was just wipe it away and get on with the journey.
This is a good example of the Philippines bahala na attitude - whatever-will-be-will-be. People don't seem to get really worked up about anything but remain relaxed and smiling come what may. I can start understanding the demand for Philippino maids and housekeepers abroad. The temperament of people here is just exceptionally pleasing and soothing!

On top of that, most people speak some and some people speak excellent English. So for once I am travelling in a country where I can really converse with people. E.g. I finally found out why on earth all buses in Asia have the air conditioning turned on to frosty deep freeze turbo power, which makes people shake with cold and catch pneumonia. It keeps the windows from steaming up and the driver can see out the windscreen!
Apart from the answers to such important scientific questions as the above, I have also e.g. found out that the average daily wage for an eight hour work day in Palawan is 252 pesos (4,3 euros about) and a whopping 390 pesos (6,5 euros) in Manila. And that unemployment is rampant and the government is on of the world's most corrupt, according to international watchdog organizations.
Yes, here the shit may hit the fan (or the shirt of the man behind me), yet people keep smiling and keep up their bahala na attitude. Amazing!
Oh yes, about the sun, sand and pina coladas: all present and accounted for! Cheers everyone!

Comments

SP_SP said…
Oh brown piggy rain... but no, I do not feel sorry for you. In Helsinki, we are anxiously looking forward to the shaking-hands-wearing-satin televisual spectacle of tomorrow. Otherwise, it's all about snow. So you enjoy the beaches, woman!
Réka said…
hei beach-lady Teo is asking when Kati is coming here :) many hugs on the way and good luck with the rides

Popular Posts